Mental Health & Wellbeing Courses for Customer Service & Contact Centre Employees
New for 2022!
There is no question that the stress and pressures on frontline staff continue to grow. Whether it's dealing with customers face to face or over the phone/live chat etc. the past couple of years, in particular, have been tougher on everyone.
For our frontline staff, not only are they dealing with their own challenges, but they also need to continually deal with customers who are also more stressed.
And it's not just the pressures of the COVID pandemic, customers are continually expecting better service and many companies are failing to meet those expectations with the frontline staff often in the direct firing line of that customer frustration.
With many of the simpler customer transactions now automated (when is the last time you rang the bank to check your balance?), customer service staff, particularly in contact centres, are facing increasingly difficult interactions with customers as typically the contact centre is the last resort after the customer has already searched online for a quick and easy solution.
This also adds to the pressures - there are no 'easy' calls anymore, each and every interaction requires concentration and the use of increasingly complicated systems.
But it's not just the contact centre agents under pressure. With vaccine passports, QR codes, freight delays and so on it's been a particularly tough couple of years for our retail employees with no real end in sight.
The good news is stress management and resilience are skills that can be taught, and equipping your employees with these skills will set them to better handle situations for today and tomorrow. And the good news keeps on coming...
Businesses receive an average return on investment of $2.30 for every $1 they invest in effective workplace mental health strategies, making investing in mental health a win-win-win situation for employers, employees and customers.
Equipping your employees with the skills they need to succeed
As an employer, it's your responsibility to equip your employees with the skills they need to succeed at their job - and by and large, most employers are pretty good at ensuring employees know how to operate equipment, understand the products and services, follow core processes and so on.
But when it comes to customer service, there is often an expectation that everyone should just "know what to do" which of course, they don't.
But being confronted by an angry customer or facing the reality of having to deal with customer after customer no matter how rude they can be is challenging for most people.
So naturally, when employees aren't equipped with the right skills to handle those situations, it can impact them in a variety of ways from increased stress and frustration, sickness, tiredness etc that can result in them lashing out at customers or colleagues, calling in sick, resigning etc that is a poor result for both the employee and your business.
And with the difficulties in attracting and retaining staff harder than ever, a small investment in their mental health and wellbeing can make a massive difference!
Mental Health Workplace Statistics in Australia
Whilst there has been some improved awareness of mental health in the workplace (and society in general), the statistics below sourced from Beyond Blue, KPMG, World Health Organisation and the Australian Government suggest a lot more needs to be done to support employees.
- Mental health problems are the third biggest health problem in Australia, after heart disease and cancer.
- Businesses receive an average return on investment of $2.30 for every $1 they invest in effective workplace mental health strategies, making investing in mental health a win-win situation for employers and employees.
- A total of 3.2 days per worker are lost each year through workplace stress.
- Stress-related workers’ compensation claims have doubled in recent years, costing over $10 billion each year.
- A survey of over 5000 workers indicated that 25% of workers took time off each year for stress-related reasons.
- In relation to psychological injury claims, work pressure accounts for around half of all claims and harassment and bullying for around a quarter of claims.
- Preliminary research shows that Australian businesses lose over $6.5 billion each year by failing to provide early intervention/treatment for employees with mental health conditions.
- Ninety-one per cent of employees believe mental health in the workplace is important. However, only 52 per cent of employees believe their workplace is mentally healthy.
- Almost fifty per cent of employees have left a workplace due to a poor mental health environment, while 60% of employees working in a mentally healthy workplace were more committed to their job.
- One in five Australians (21%) have taken time off work in the past 12 months because they felt stressed, anxious, depressed or mentally unhealthy.
- According to the World Health Organisation, 1 in 4 people in any one year, will experience emotional and mental distress such that if they were to see a clinician, they would be diagnosed with a mental illness
Who are these courses suitable for?
There are hundreds of thousands of employees who work on the frontline working with customers each and every day. Whether it's over the phone in a call centre (or contact centre as they are now called) or face to face working in retail stores, offices, warehouses, cafes & restaurants and so on all the roles have something in common - dealing with customers.
And that's who these courses are for!
Whilst each business sector and industry requires a range of different skills and attributes to succeed, how to deal with customers is surprisingly consistent as let's face it, we all know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of good and bad customer service.
And at our core, we are all human beings. Good health, stress management, resilience skills etc have been refined for decades and whilst we are all a little different, the skills we teach have all stood the test of time.
Public or Private delivery options
Our Mental Health and Wellbeing Courses for Customer Service employees can be delivered in person (subject to COVID guidelines) or online via ZOOM teleconferencing with both Public and Private training courses available.
Our Public Mental Health and Wellbeing training courses have the times and dates fixed to enable you to plan ahead and align with your induction programs, rosters, annual leave commitments and so on.
They can be perfect for one person or small teams that in addition to learning some great new skills, the public courses can also be a great way to meet others in the same industry and help to build a professional network which can be crucial to better health and wellbeing.
If you would like to have more flexibility on the dates, times and content please refer to our private options.
Whilst the public courses can be a great way to interact with others and are perfect for small numbers, sometimes you need more flexibility with the dates and times or you’d like the benefits of training larger groups of agents within your business.
Our private courses can deliver the same course with dates and times to suit you and we can also include custom-built role plays, simulations and call examples based on your business (where applicable) rather than generic ones we use in our public courses.
About CX Skills
CX Skills is a specialist training business that only delivers contact centre, customer experience, customer service and leadership related courses facilitated exclusively by industry professionals. We're one of the founding members of the Australian Customer Experience Professionals Association (ACXPA) and we are committed to helping Australia to be recognised as global leaders in Customer Experience.
We’ve trained thousands of staff across a diverse range of businesses and we’re proud of the amazing customer testimonials we’ve received directly and on Google reviews (the most recent listed below) so you can rest assured your call centre agent training is in good hands.
Mental Health and Wellbeing Courses
Click on the buttons below to learn more about the courses we offer or scroll at the bottom of this page for upcoming public courses that you can purchase a ticket for instantly.